I recently came across a website called boycotthouston.com, created to retaliate against our newly elected gay mayor. I didn’t explore the website at all because I thought it was so ridiculous. But a friend’s blog just alerted me to the hilariously serious suggestions given by the website on how to boycott our city:
What you can do to help:
- If you take a vacation, do not take it in Houston.
- If you drive through Houston, do not buy fuel, food, or stay in a hotel there. Spend your money in one of Houston’s outlying suburbs.
- If you fly, arrange connecting flights so as to avoid lay-overs in Houston. If this cannot be avoided then spend no money at the airport.
- If you shop online, find out the location of the company who’s website you are browsing. If the online store is based in Houston, go to another website.
- If you have relatives in Houston, try to get them to come visit you rather than you visit them.
- If you are considering a business convention, do not consider Houston.
- If you are planning a business or professional conference, plan it somewhere other than Houston.
- If you are considering hiring a contractor, do not hire one based in Houston.
- If you are searching for employment, do not accept a position in Houston.
- If you are seeking investment opportunities, look at opportunities elsewhere.
- If you live in Houston, shop in an outlying suburb whenever possible.
- If you are considering a service ( cell phone, internet, cable TV, etc) do not use one based in Houston.
- If you need to ship something, do not use Houston’s ports.
- If you are starting a new business do not open it in Houston.
- If you are considering expanding your business no not expand in Houston.
- If you live in Houston and you have considered moving, now is a good time.
- If you need a medical procedure and it does not endanger your health, go to another city.
- If you want to buy a newspaper, do not buy a Houston paper.
- If you need insurance, do not buy a policy from a company based in Houston.
- If you are a sports fan do not watch Houston’s teams or spend money on their team’s apparel or product.
Can we boycott the boycotters?